Thursday, January 22, 2009

He restores my soul … " Psalm 23:3

Today's verse is the first part of verse 3 and is composed of only four words. We will look at each word, and then summarize by assembling the mosaic.

He - there is only One who can restore my soul - He is the Shepherd, the LORD of verse 1.

Restores - the Hebrew word is rich in meaning: to bring back; to bring home again; to build again; to recover; to refresh; to relieve; to rescue. Wow! Each of these words is applicable when the Psalmist talks about soul-restoration.

My - this is personal. The Psalm is written about me, about you.

Soul - the Hebrew word means a breathing creature; it is used in the sense of body and mind; also person, or self. Our breath is our life. Have you ever had your breath knocked out? For a few moments it's a scary experience. Then your breathing is restored to normal, much to your relief.

Let's assemble the mosaic:

When I've tried every other avenue of replenishing my exhausted body and mind, to no avail, I learn by experience that the Good Shepherd is the only One who can rescue me from the miserable situation in which I find myself.

He refreshes the fatigued fabric of my being.

He helps me to recover what is lost - to breathe again.

He re-builds the ruins of my broken-down system.

He carries me home again on His shoulders. It's good to be a sheep!

In this rapid-paced life with all of the stress, deadlines, financial and personal worries, we need soul restoration.

Think about where you are at present: if your very self is collapsing and you're stressed out, if your legs have given way and you need support, if you are broken down and need re-building again, or if you need to be brought home again - call to Him - He'll come and get you, right where you're lying. Spend time with Him - this is how He restores the soul. After all, He is an Expert with sheep!

No comments:

Post a Comment