Sunday, March 29, 2009

God is our source of strength

"Here I am this day, eighty-five years old. As yet I am as strong this day as I was on the day that Moses sent me; just as my strength was then, so now is my strength for war, both for going out and for coming in." Joshua 14:10b & 11.

When we investigate the source of Caleb's strength-filled statement in verse 12 ("Give me this mountain") we notice that he said of himself "but I wholly followed the LORD my God."

He (forty years old, at the time) and Joshua had been part of the band of twelve spies whom Moses sent to spy out the land of promise. They came back with their report.

Ten spies had negative reports, saying that they were not able to take possession of the land, due to insurmountable obstacles. But Joshua and Caleb brought positive reports and urged Moses to move ahead and occupy the land.

Forty-five years have passed, and Caleb now talks to his leader, Joshua. He reminds him of Moses' promise to the two faithful spies, that they would inherit the land they spied out. He tells Joshua that he is presently eighty-five years old, and is as strong now as he was on the day that Moses sent them. He is strong and ready for battle - and that's why he asks for the mountain where the giants live.

Caleb did not plan to sweet-talk the giants off their hill fortress. He was ready to fight! He was ready to go out to battle and to come in (to return in victory). He trusted God for his strength.

May God grant us the strength and grace, whatever time span our days may have, to wholly follow our Lord, and be ready to battle the enemy at each stage of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment