Wednesday, February 18, 2009

From the end of the earth I will cry to You

"From the end of the earth I will cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I" Psalm 61:2

From the end of the earth - When you feel have reached the end; when you cannot go another step; when you are utterly down; when you feel you possess no more reserves.

I will cry to You - The psalmist likens his experience to that of Jonah, when he prayed from the fish's belly: "I cried out to the LORD because of my affliction, and He answered me." This cry is not just a call for help. It is like the cry of Jesus to His Father from the cross. There's anguish of soul; you cast yourself at His feet.

When my heart is overwhelmed - The heart is the seat of emotion. The overwhelmed heart is flooded with anxiety, fear, despair, dread. These are the things that threaten to sink the vessel, like the experience of Jesus' disciples in a boat during an incredible storm.

Lead me to the Rock - When I don't have strength to walk, lead me; When I'm tempted to run away from You, lead me gently back; When I'm blinded by the circumstances of life, take me by the hand and lead me; When I try to walk along my own path, lead me to Your way. Lead me to Stability…the Rock, the place that is firm, solid and strong. This is the essence of discipleship - to be led. Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness.

That is higher than I - Someone to look up to. Oh, how we need the upward look when we're downcast.

The good news is God hears every such cry. He meets you in your emergency. He offers you a place of refuge. Our God is a God who hears His earth-born children when they cry for help. Take courage today!

1 comment:

CAROL ELIN TREIYER.- said...

This is so good,,,!

Post a Comment